Once again it has been a busy month with a few projects on the go for our chapter. We must also say congratulations to Piet who has been accepted to do a 6 month internship in Nepal with the UN! He will be gone from the end of the year and AfH AKL management is looking at ways to fill the gap in his absence.
Other opportunities as they arise will also be posted up on the Chapter Network so make sure you’ve joined as a member of the Auckland Chapter http://auckland.architectureforhumanity.org/
MINUTES for MGM #8 – 3rd October
1. General Updates
1.1 AfH-AKL General Update
• Andy K will will report back to our chapter about his travels to the Venice Biennale, in particular, AfH’s exhibition on the [UN]restricted Access competition in which Andy was a finalist. We eagerly await his return!
1.2 Christchurch Update (Irene + Jess)
• Songs for Christchurch are about to launch their new fundraising album! Great line up of supporting artists. Please make a pledge to the cause at https://www.pledgeme.co.nz/Crowd/Details/429
Some of the money raised will go to the Unlimited project through AfH.
• There is a call out for volunteers to help out with the FESTA event for Festival of Transitional Architecture. This is to set up for the LUXcity exhibition in which all the design and architecture schools of NZ are participating. Those who help out for 4 hours will get a complimentary ticket to The Concert organised by the Student Volunteer Army http://www.festa.org.nz/ Please liaise with Irene firstname.lastname@example.org for more details, possibly will be on the 20th October?
• We have been contacted by Habitat Christchurch about the potential for collaboration. A great contact for the work happening in Christchurch. Please contact Piet email@example.com if you have any ideas.
2.1 Auckland Sexual Abuse Help Project (Piet + Bobby)
• All is progressing along nicely, with the designing well underway. The measure up is being put into CAD form. We will be preparing sketch designs to show the client.
• We are currently waiting on the earthquake report and an inventory of current storage uses. We will prepare the project for an internal peer review when ready.
2.2 Mangere East Community Centre (Bobby)
• Piet, Bobby and Megan helped Mangere East with a feedback document for the Mangere-Otahuhu 30 year draft plan.
• We are looking at doing a community workshop at the upcoming Christmas fair. Please contact Bobby firstname.lastname@example.org for more info if you would like to get involved.
• The next stage will be far more design-based to refine the scheme for the community centre so hop onboard designers!
2.3 White Elephant Trust Project Update (Jess)
• The project is currently at the stage now where it needs to: prove its feasibility, secure a site and produce a robust business plan
• May be good to connect with the local iwi.
• If anyone has expertise in these areas, please get in touch with us.
3.1 Space Invaders
• 27th October we will be contributing to Space Invader’s Parking Space Project. It is an urban revitalisation initiative similar to Gapfiller projects in Christchurch. The idea is to work with Auckland parking spaces coinciding with Auckland Art Week.
• We are contributing a team and receiving more details we are now looking to meet 7pm Tuesday night at Engineering Café, University of Auckland to discuss our contribution. If you are interested in being apart of the action and have any ideas please email Piet email@example.com or call 0210483846.
4.1 Auckland Architecture Week 2012 design charette
• As a part of Auckland Architecture Week 2012, we have a team entered into the one-day design Charette to be held on 28th October 2012 at Windsor Castle. We are looking for team members so if interested please contact Bobby firstname.lastname@example.org
4.2 Designed to Move
• AfH, Nike and co has launched a new campaign that we are proud to get behind!
This year, 5.3 million deaths will be attributed to physical inactivity. No one can fix this alone. We must align strategies & combine resources. The science is clear. The debate is over. Urgent priority must be given to dramatically increase the world’s commitment to physical activity. “Designed to Move” offers consensus on the path forward–a single vision: Future generations running, jumping, and kicking to reach their greatest potential. A new normal.
4.3 Eco-housing for Pacific Islands
• Dave Smith is working with a team to devise an eco-house solution for the islands. They are currently looking for a person with a passion for the environment, interest in CLT and CNC. They might also be working on site in Rarotonga.
• Bobby will connect them with Danny Squires and Martin Luff who are working on a Wikihouse project with CNC prefabrication.
Bobby Shen & Pieter Ubels
on behalf of
The Auckland Chapter
Architecture for Humanity